Indulge in the goodness of homemade chocolate eclairs with this tried and tested recipe. These delightful treats are made with light and fluffy choux pastry, filled with cream, and covered in delicious dark chocolate. And the best part? Each eclair contains less than 250 calories, making them a guilt-free choice for a lighter afternoon treat or dessert. You can even experiment with white or milk-cooking chocolate if you prefer.
Store-bought versions can’t compare to the results you’ll achieve with our chocolate eclair recipe. They are a perfect addition to a luxurious afternoon tea party or any occasion that calls for a touch of elegance.
But before we begin, here’s a helpful tip: While the filled and topped eclairs cannot be frozen, you can freeze the choux pastry fingers on their own for up to three months. Simply defrost them, crisp them up in the oven, and let them cool before filling. Now, let’s get started with the ingredients needed:
The Ingredients List:
– Ingredients for Choux Pastry:
• 60 grams of softened butter
• 75 grams of cake flour, sifted
• 2 medium-sized eggs
– Simple Filling Ingredients:
• 200 grams of dark chocolate
• 280 milliliters of whipping cream
• A few drops of vanilla extract
– Topping Preparation Ingredients:
• 100 grams of dark chocolate
• 30 grams of softened butter
Now that we have all the ingredients ready, let’s move on to preparing the choux pastry:
Steps to Prepare Choux Pastry:
- Combine the butter and 150ml of water in a saucepan. Heat the pan over medium heat until the butter melts. Then increase the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Remove the pan from the heat and immediately add the sifted flour. Whisk the mixture until it forms a ball and pulls away from the edges of the pan. Allow it to cool for at least 10 minutes before adding the eggs one at a time.
- Transfer the dough into a piping bag fitted with a basic piping tube. Pipe strips of the mixture onto prepared baking sheets and sprinkle them with cold water. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the center of the oven, switching the position of the trays if needed.
- Remove the éclair trays from the oven and pierce each éclair with a skewer to let the steam escape. Return them to the oven for an additional 5 to 7 minutes or until they become crisp.
- Once the baking pans are out of the oven, transfer the éclairs to a wire rack to cool completely. Cut one edge of each éclair and use a teaspoon to remove any soft filling in the centers.
Now, onto the delicious filling:
Steps to Prepare the Filling:
- Bring the whipping cream to a boil in a medium saucepan. Pour it over the broken dark chocolate in a large bowl. Stir until the chocolate melts completely and add vanilla extract to taste. Allow the mixture to cool slightly before chilling until thick.
- Mix the chocolate filling until smooth and creamy. Fill a piping bag fitted with a star piping tube with the chocolate mixture. Pipe a small amount of the filling into each éclair and gently press them closed.
And finally, let’s prepare the delectable topping:
Steps to Prepare the Topping:
- Melt the dark chocolate with softened butter in a pan over simmering water.
- Dip the tops of the éclairs into the chocolate mixture, making sure not to get any topping into the filling. You can use a pastry brush for easier application. Let the topping cool before serving.
Now, it’s time to savor the sweet rewards of your hard work. Enjoy these homemade chocolate eclairs as a delightful treat for yourself or share them with loved ones. The combination of light choux pastry, creamy filling, and decadent chocolate topping is guaranteed to make any day special.