She took her son shopping, but the next day the child fell seriously unwell.

Previous Next

After coming into contact with a shopping cart that may have been contaminated with a variety of bacteria, baby Logan Wardrop’s outing to a shopping center on the Gold Coast turned into a nightmare that landed him in the hospital for ten days.

Vivienne Wardrop, the mother of a 10-month-old boy, stated that she believes her kid contracted adenovirus, rotavirus, and salmonella infection after touching the handle of the grocery store trolley and then putting his hands in his mouth. She believes that her son picked up the illnesses from him.

The mother of five from Pacific Pines stated, “I didn’t even think about it.”

I only brought him in for a moment, and then I went shopping.

Since I hadn’t gone anywhere with him in the past week, the doctors believe that my home is the only area he could have picked up the infection from.

When Logan awoke the following day sobbing violently, Ms. Wardrop claimed that was when she realized he had been ill.

She remarked that he had diarrhea all over the place.

“While I was attempting to feed him a bottle, he started throwing up.

He was running a temperature of 39 degrees Celsius.

Ms. Wardrop reported that she had taken Logan to a doctor, who advised that he get lots of rest and drink plenty of fluids. However, the boy was still ill the following morning, and Ms. Wardrop brought him to the hospital, where he was admitted right away.

“A lot of blood tests,” was what she stated they had done.

Because of the severity of his illness, he did not even cry when many needles were inserted into him. He was in such bad shape.

The infant was moved to the intensive care unit after having a temperature of 39.5 degrees Celsius and a heart rate that was 220 beats per minute.

Ms. Wardrop shared that “they couldn’t get his blood under control – he was growing more and more dehydrated” as the cause of the patient’s condition.

They were quite worried about him because he was putting in a lot of effort.

“Water was gushing out of him like a faucet. It is a significant amount – around ten percent of his total weight – that he shed 800 grams in just three days.

After starting to feel better, Logan was able to be released from the hospital over the weekend.

Ms. Wardrop mentioned that it was a kind reminder to parents to clean the shopping cart seats before placing their children in them.

“We attempted to figure out exactly where this came from and we hadn’t been out in a week,” she added. “We hadn’t even been out of the house in three days.”

“There is no other possible origin for it save that one.

“He is on prescription baby formula, and he hadn’t eaten food in about five or six days, so it can’t have originated from that,” the doctor said. “He had not eaten food in about five or six days.”

Dr. Roger Halliwell, president of the Gold Coast General Practice, stated that Logan’s illness “most certainly” originated from a dirty trolley; nevertheless, he acknowledged that it was difficult to be certain.

According to what he had to say, “These illnesses occur at the absolute least, several hours later, so kids can get these things from a variety of sources.”

Everyone uses the shopping carts, yet nobody ever washes their hands after touching them.

A spokesman for the shopping center stated that the individual stores were responsible for the trolleys, and she declined to speak any further on the matter

A spokesman for the grocery store stated that an investigation was being conducted into the event.

 

Similar posts