After kissing a family member, Sienna Duffield was diagnosed with the infectious virus earlier this year.
After severe blisters grew across the three-year-face, old’s her mother, Savina French-Bell, 21, had to wash her bed sheets every day and throw out things.
In October 2015, on her second birthday, her daughter was brought to the hospital and placed on an iv drip because she had stopped eating.
Savina, a Gloucester resident, then sought guidance on lotions and medicines to keep Sienna’s condition from worsening.
She has now decided to share her tale in order to assist other parents whose children suffer from the same illness.
‘Sienna’s skin infection was eating her alive,’ she claimed.
PIC FROM CATERS NEWS – (PICTURED: Sienna Duffield recovers in hospital.) -An adorable toddler who was being eaten alive by a ravaging skin infection has finally recovered. Sienna Duffield, who is now three years old, was diagnosed with herpes earlier in the year – a contagious virus, which caused blisters to spread across her face. The toddler kissed a family member in October 2015 which caused the severe infection.
Her mother, Savina French-Bell, 21, had to wash Sienna’s bed sheets daily and constantly throw out clothes because of daily blood stains from Sienna’s sores. The painful blisters were extremely itchy and caused Sienna’s sensitive skin to be covered in bloodstains and pus. Sienna was admitted to the hospital on her second birthday in October 2015 where she was placed on an iv drip because she had stopped eating.
Savina then sought advice for creams and antibiotics to prevent Sienna’s condition from getting even worse. The young mother is now sharing their story to help other parents battling the same condition. SEE CATERS COPY.
‘It came out of nowhere when she developed ulcers in her mouth on her second birthday.’
‘It looked like someone threw acid on her face; it crept from her mouth to her cheeks and over her eyes.’
She said that eight months of antibiotics had failed to treat the infection and that things only began to improve after Sienna was prescribed flucloxacillin to treat severe eczema.
‘Doctors were stunned, and they had no idea what had caused Sienna’s infection for a long time,’ she continued.
‘I found out she has eczema, which has made her skin significantly worse.’
‘Because her body was so frail, her face took so long to repair.
‘Her skin would be glued to pillows every day, and there would be blood all over the place.’
‘I attempted to keep her from scratching herself, but she would scratch her face on household objects like sofas.’
Fortunately, Sienna’s condition has improved, and her mother is hoping that it will continue to improve.
‘Sienna’s face has looked wonderful for the past few months, and the infection hasn’t returned,’ she said.
‘There’s always the possibility that it will return, but fingers crossed that it won’t and her skin will remain as good as it is today.’
‘I was informed that when she gets older, her body will become more capable of battling infections.’
‘It’s wonderful to be able to go outside without receiving any negative feedback.’
‘Whereas before, people were mean to Sienna, today everyone is blown away by how well her face has healed, and it’s incredible to watch.’