The NFL made a decision on the game that was ultimately postponed many hours after Damar Hamlin collapsed on the field, suffering cardiac arrest during the first quarter of the Monday Night Football game on January 2.

Simultaneously, Hamlin’s family issued their first statement:

“On behalf of our family, we want to convey our profound gratitude for the love and support offered to Damar during this trying time. We are very moved by the prayers, sweet thoughts, and money from fans all throughout the country,” reads the message.

“We also want to acknowledge the dedicated first responders and healthcare personnel at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center who have offered great care to Damar. We consider ourselves extremely fortunate to be a member of the Buffalo Bills organization and to have their support. We’d also like to thank Coach Taylor and the Bengals for their efforts.”

“Your generosity and care mean everything to us,” the statement goes on. “Please keep Damar in your thoughts and prayers. We will provide updates as soon as they become available.”

After canceling the game, the NFL issued a statement at 10:05 p.m. That statement is reproduced below:

The Bills organization sent a second update several hours later, about 2:30 a.m. EST. Damar Hamlin was remained in critical condition and sedated, it was discovered.

It was also revealed that Hamlin’s heart did stop on the field, but it was revived before he was loaded into the ambulance and brought to the hospital, which was only two miles away.

“Damar Hamlin went into cardiac arrest after being hit in our game against the Bengals. On the field, his heartbeat was recovered, and he was transported to the UC Medical Center for additional testing and treatment. He is now sedated and classed as critical.”

The Bills provided another update about 1:30 p.m. on January 3. “Damar Hamlin spent the night in the intensive care unit and remains there today in critical condition at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center. We are appreciative for the outpouring of support that we have received thus far.”

Hamlin was seen going in for a tackle and absorbing a big hit on national television. Hamlin stands up, takes a few steps, and suddenly falls.

Trainers and first responders reacted to Hamlin immediately after he fell to the ground, while an ambulance was brought onto the field. CPR was administered to Hamlin for several minutes while his teammates and the rest of the world looked on in disbelief.

It was unlike anything any football player, coach, or fan had ever witnessed.

Hamlin was eventually given oxygen and sent to the hospital in an ambulance. The teams took the decision to temporarily suspend the game after Hamlin was brought to the hospital.

At this time, no additional information is available. Our hearts go out to Hamlin, his family, and the rest of the Buffalo Bills organization.